Italian Pot Pie
This Italian Pot Pie is a twist on the classic, with plenty of Italian sausage, peppers and mushrooms, all cooked in Sonoma Gourmet Plum Tomato Marinara Sauce. The pot pie is finished off with a golden brown biscuit crust for a hearty meal that’s big on flavor. Serves: 4-6
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced into think strips
1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced into think strips
8 ounces of white mushrooms, sliced
1 pound of mild Italian sausage, casing removed
1 jar of Sonoma Gourmet Plum Tomato Marinara Pasta Sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of all purpose flour
1½ teaspoons of sugar
1½ teaspoons of baking powder
½ teaspoons of garlic powder
¼ teaspoon of salt
½ cup of buttermilk
¼ cup butter, melted
½ cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 450°. Coat an 8 or 9 inch square pan with cooking spray.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up the meat with a spoon, until browned and cooked through (approximately 5 minutes).
3. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes.
4. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add the yellow and green peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Pour the marinara sauce into the pan. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes or until sauce has started to thicken.
6. Pour the sausage mixture into the greased pan.
7. While the sausage mixture is cooking, prepare the biscuit topping. In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, garlic powder and salt.
8. Add the butter and buttermilk into the flour mixture and stir just until a dough forms. Add the parmesan cheese and stir to combine.
9. Place large spoonfuls of the biscuit dough on top of the sausage mixture for a total of 4-6 biscuits.
10. Place the pan in the oven and bake until biscuit topping is golden brown, approximately 12-15 minutes.
11. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
In This Recipe
PLUM TOMATO MARINARA PASTA SAUCE
We use organically grown California and Italian Plum tomatoes which are considered by chefs as the best tomatoes for high quality sauces. We then add our own special blend of herbs, spices and extra virgin olive oil to make it our own. TRY THIS SAUCE >>