Braised Mediterranean Chicken with Olives
This Mediterranean chicken is braised in Sonoma Gourmet Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce for a low maintenance meal that’s full of bold flavors. This dish is perfect served over orzo or polenta with plenty of the sauce spooned over the top. You can customize this dish to your tastes by experimenting with different types of olives and herbs, or even adding vegetables like mushrooms or zucchini. Serves: 6
3 pounds of bone-in skin on chicken pieces such as thighs and drumsticks
2 tablespoons olive oil (try Sonoma Gourmet Roasted Garlic & Herbs Olive Oil)
1 jar of Sonoma Gourmet Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce (25 ounce)
1 onion, coarsely chopped
¾ cup kalamata olives
½ cup parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Place the chicken, skin side down, in the pot in a single layer. You may need to work in batches. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until deep golden brown.
3. Remove the chicken from the pot. Place the onion in the pot and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened and browned, approximately 4-5 minutes.
4. Return the chicken to the pot. Pour the pasta sauce over the chicken and onions.
5. Bring the sauce to a boil; cover the pot and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
6. Stir in the olives and parsley and serve.
In This Recipe
We use organically grown garlic from Gilroy, California and then slow roast it to bring out a mild garlic flavor suitable for today’s pallet. We then add a little bit more garlic. Bring your breath mint! TRY THIS SAUCE